This is a pro-active and forward looking planning process, which is required to prepare the operations team to ensure an effective, efficient and safe production ramp-up. A high quality operational readiness plan will mitigate the typical production ramp-up difficulties experienced in many start-up operations.
The development of an operation readiness plan is critical to the successful implementation of a project and will ultimately define the required conditions and staffing under which a new project can function in a stable and sustainable way to achieve its planned production.
An effective operation readiness plan, combined with the required associated management processes will aim to:-
- Deliver a capable team ready to operate the operation and manage the business to meet the planned goals
- Identify potential risks and problems early and allows for appropriate mitigating actions
- Increase the probability of achieving the planned goals
- Reduce the risk of budget overruns
- Deliver a sustainable, efficient operation.
The development of an effective operation readiness plan should focus on the following areas:-
- Converting the technical designs and study options into a long term operational plan
- Developing of a business plan being signed-off and accepted by all stake holders
- Provide a blue print for the operation management team to implement various aspects of the business plan with special focus on:
- Operational level production and maintenance planning with safety focus
- Human resource needs, recruitment, training, housing where required and planning
- Procurement, contracts, stores and logistics
- Business processes, financial & cost control and information integration
- An integrated compliance strategy:
- Environmental and permitting
- Safety and health
- Social development
- Employment equity
- Mining charter
- Quality control systems
- Short interval control systems.